Sunday, February 25, 2007

What are you giving up for lent?

For those of you that do not know what Lent is, Lent is the 40 days (period or season), prior to Easter. The period is actually 46 days long, but we suspend Lent on Sundays, because they are the Lord's Day and should be days of celebration.

So, why do we give something up? The actual purpose behind giving something up, is to help us connect with the suffering of Jesus. When giving something up, you should make it count. Suddenly, giving up our favorite show or food doesn’t seem so trying in light of what Jesus endured, does it?

Well, this year, I'm giving up something and I'm making it count! After giving it much thought, I'm going to give up something that I really love and enjoy...Red Meat.

For those who know me, I love steak. Just a couple weeks ago, I was telling a coworker (who is a vegetarian), that I could not give up red meat. I just could not do it, because I love it so much. When I was thinking about what to give up, I remembered that conversation. So, I'm doing what is going to be very hard for me. I'm giving up Red Meat.

What are you giving up this Lenten Season?

No comments: