Saturday, February 24, 2007

Distance PR! 1.5 Miles!

1.5 Miles... 39 Degrees... 18 MPH SE Winds...

Today I ran outside for the first time!

I also had my longest non-stop run: 1.5 miles...

...Okay so I had to stop for a minute, because I little dog started chasing me. As soon as I stopped and turned to look at him, he got scared...lol. I stood there watching his owner run around trying to get the dog to go inside. Every time time I started running, he would come after me.

I think I'm going to starting carrying Pepper Spray. Now I wasn't freightened by this dog, but was anouyed that he wasn't on a lesh and I had to stop running. What I am nevious about, is I saw a couple bigger dogs in fences...one was a Pitbull. No offence to Pitbull owners, but we have had several attacks in our area lately!

I donned my recently purchased tights and long sleeve base layer. Over that I had on Shorts and a running shirt.

Things I learned:

1. When the weather channel says, “Feels like 30,” they mean “Feels Really Cold!
2. When the weather channel says, “18 mph wind,” they mean "Very Windy!
3. I need to invest in running gloves, hands were really cold.
4. I need to invest in a running jacket. The wind cut thought the Shirts.
5. Need to wear something over my ears, when its cold and windy.
6. The end of our street floods when it rains really hard the night before.
7. I run faster outside.
8. It seems easier to run outside...who knew? Why is this?
9. It started to sprinkle and I didn't care
10. My New Shoes feel Great!
11. I'm glad I got tights.
12 . What it feels like to run outside when its cold, wet and windy: Fantastic!

Oh, yea...Dogs like to chase you.

1 comment:

Roger said...

Great to see your progress. I had was in a very similar situation in mid July of 2006 when I started my running program. I started off slow and have steadily increased since then. Today I ran 12 miles in 1h 45m 44s. Not bad considering I had a long run yesterday as well at 6.5 miles. My best advice to a beginning runner is to take a serious look at your diet. I have vertually cut out all sugar and flour from my diet and that has greatly increased my speed and indurance. I started at 225lbs and am currently at 185. I lost the first 15 lb off of running alone, then hit a wall at 210. After cutting the sugar and flour, the weight melted off. I have been steady at 185 for the past 3 mo. but my body fat continues to drop slowly. Good luck and I wish you further success