Saturday, February 10, 2007

I am a Beginner.

I have been trying to start running off and on for about three years now. I would have never called myself a runner, but have started many running plans. I never had a problem starting them, it was following them that didn't work. Well, at the first of the year (Jan. 2, 2007), I decided to try again. But this time, I made my own plan.

I reviewed other plans that were out there. I did not follow what someone said in a book, website or magazine, but I used them as guidance. See, in the past, all of the plans that I followed progressed too fast for me. I would get to a certain point in a plan only to give up, because I couldn't keep up. This time I put pride aside and modified some plans to come up with my own half-marathon training plan.

So far it is working great! I'm on day 40 and I'm not pushing myself too hard or too fast. I'm increasing my mileage, when I feel like it is right for me, not when someone else thinks it should be increased.

If you are a beginner, I suggest you use all those plans that you have found, seen or purchased and customize them to you and your level. If the plan is moving too fast, slow it down. If it says to increase your run by a quarter of a mile, increase it by an eighth. Put pride aside and do what feels good to you.