Saturday, February 17, 2007

New Running First

Well, today I had a runner first. I went to a professional running store and got fitted for running shoes. This is a first for me. My current pair of shoes came from Foot Locker and I got them based on price...cheap!

After walking, standing, measuring and probing (just joking), they came out with seven boxes of shoes. For those of you that have never been fitted for shoes, here is what happens. Once inspecting your feet and stride, they determine what kind of shoe you need. In my case, I found out I needed a Stability shoe. They then bring out several brands of that type of shoe.

Here is the fun part. They put one brand on one foot, then another brand on the other foot. They have you walk around a bit, then have you tell them what you like and dislike about both. Then, they have you tell them which one of the two you think you like best. After you choose the one you like, they take the one you do not like off, then put on another brand, leaving on the one that you liked the first time around. They repeat this process, until you have tried on all the brands they brought out.

Now, two things that I have been told and read about: Never buy a shoe buy looks, price, ad or brand name. Buy the shoe because it feels the best on your feet!

Well, the New Balance 857 felt best for me:

I know they look a little cluncky, but they felt really good. They are snug around my heels, but there is plenty of room for my toes. They have a lot of cushion, too. I had to buy inserts for my current pair of shoes.

Any ways, I think tomorrow I'm goin back and getting them. I wanted to look online and look at reviews and compare pricing. They retail for $95, but I can get them for $81.50. That's about $5 less then what I have found online, plus no shipping! Also, I have read nothing but great reviews on them.

I'll let you know if I get them!

No comments: