Friday, March 16, 2007

The Lows

I'm sitting here this evening, feeling a little down in the dumps. You would think that I would be excited or nervous, since I will be running my first 5k tomorrow. However, that is not the case. I figure now is the perfect time to tell you about the lows of running.


In running, you will have highs and lows. Highs are usually followed after a good training run or after a race. I have heard of people being on their running high for weeks, after they had run a marathon.


Unfortunately, you will also have lows. Lows usually come when you haven't run for a few days. Maybe your are sidelined due to an injury or your schedule just hasn't allowed you to get out there and run. Lows can come from running indoors due to weather or from just missing a few days.


Well, I had a great training run on Monday morning. I ran 2.8 miles, which at that point, was the longest run that I had ever completed. I was happy about the distance of the run and excited, because I knew that I would not have a problem with running the 5k this coming Saturday.


But towards the end of the run, my shins started feeling a little sore. I wouldn't call it pain, nor would I call it Shin Splints. However, I did not want to risk further injury by running. So, I decided that I would not run this week, until the 5k.


Monday and Tuesday I was still enjoying the high of the great training run. But on Wednesday morning, I felt something was missing. Something just didn't feel right. I then started thinking about going for a run come Wed. night. I really had to force myself not to run. My shin still felt a little sore and I didn't want to make it worse by going out and running.


Well, I have felt the low for three days now. I know that the race is tomorrow. I know that I will be able to complete the 5k, without any issues, but I still feel a little down.


I wanted to tell you this, because you too will have moments, days or maybe even weeks (if you are injured), where you will feel the lows. You just have to keep remembering the highs.


At first I kept a blog as a journal. I also record how I feel in my workout log. I suggest you start some kind of log or journal, so that when these lows hit, you will be able to review it and remind yourself what the high moments feel like.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hey!
I've seen you on runner's world and decided to check out your blog. You've made amazing progress!!!! Just wanted to wish you the best of luck in your race today. I bet the rest will actually do you some good in your run today! I hope that finishing this 5k gets you out of the running doldrums!
Amy