Monday, September 3, 2007

9.5 - WOW!!!

On Labor Day, I ran 9.5 miles. It was a beautiful morning and I prayed that I would have a good run.

The night before, I thought about how I was going to run the entire 9.5 miles. When I ran the 8 miles two weeks ago, I had to start run/walking after 4 miles into the run. I had decided to run 1 mile, then walk for a minute and repeat throughout the run.

But when I started warming up, I decided to run 3 miles and then see how I felt. If I felt okay, I would continue running. If something seemed off, as was the case two weeks before, I would walk a couple minutes and go from there.

It was a perfect morning. The sun was still under the horizon, but there was enough light that I didn’t have to run in the dark. About a mile into my run I saw two groups of deer, one group of 4 and another group of 3. About half mile past that, I saw two more pair of deer run across the path in front of me.

At the 3 mile mark, I was feeling pretty good. So, I had some goo and kept running. The next 3.5 miles was run near a lake. The trail goes in and out of a wooded area. At this point the sun was starting to rise over the horizon. Sounds of bugs gave way to sounds of birds, ducks and geese.

About 4 miles into the run I saw a group of wild turkey cross about 100 yards in front of my path. I was hoping to get a close up view, but they saw me and went off into the woods. Between Mile 4 and 5 I saw some ducks fly over head, about 6 more deer and another group of turkey, including some baby turkeys. Seeing all the animals really took my mind off the running.

As I approached the 6.5 mile mark I was still feeling good. Not as strong as I was at the 3 mile mark, but far from feeling the need to walk. I had some more goo and kept running. Things were feeling good and before I knew it I was at the 7.5 mile mark. I remember looking up and seeing where I normally turn around on my 3 mile runs and thinking to myself, “If I can make it there, I’m home free!”

When I got to the 8 mile mark is when things started to get tough. I don’t know if it was subconscious or if I really started to break down. I wouldn’t call it hitting the wall, I just felt I was getting close to it. So, I started picking an object about a quarter of a mile away and telling myself, “If I can make it there, I can go another quarter mile.”

That got me almost to the end. With only two tenths of a mile to go, I almost broke down. I just put my head down and started chanting, “One more step, one more step.” That last little bit felt like it took longer then the previous mile, but I finished running.

It feels really great to have completed the 9.5 miles non-stop. It has renewed my confidence and told me I can run the Half-Marathon!!!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Yeaahh!!! Keep it up, babe!

keepgoing said...

Well done!!!!

Just out of interest how much weight have you lost since you started???


Keep going!

Nancy said...

HEEEEEYYYYY MATT -- YOU DID IT!!! I'm so glad you are back from Wii land and still running. Isn't the progress amazing?? It's so cool when you do that new distance for the first time. Not that long ago you were pumped about 5. I've had some foot problems, not sure where I am at. I may be doing the half with you if I don't get them worked out soon.

Anyway, you are doing great. Loved all the wildlife stuff. That must have been really cool. Take care!!