Saturday, July 7, 2007

First 4 Mile Run!!!!!!

Well, this morning I'm sitting on the back porch of my brother-in-law's house in Chicago. I'm enjoying the beautiful morning, before it heats up to the mid 90s again.

This morning I got up at 6:00 am to go for my first official "long run". I call it my first official long run, because 1. it is the longest I have ever run in my life 2. starting now, my weekends are going to include a run longer than my weekday runs.

Before I came to Chicago, I used mapmyrun.com to map out two routes I could choose from this morning. One was a one mile loop, while the other was a two mile loop. In the 7 hours that it took to drive to Chi-Town, I decided on running the two mile loop. Even though it is was a little more hilly, I thought it would be easier for me to stop after 3 miles running the one mile loop.

So here's how it went. Excellent! That pretty much sums it up. I was nervous last night about being in a car for 7 hours, then running this morning. But when I started my warm up, I was felling pretty good. Also, although it was a hilly run, the up hills were not straight up hill. It would go up a little, then level off, go up a little, then level off, etc. So the hills in the first three miles didn't seem bad at all.

Starting the last mile was mentally kind of tough. I could tell my body was like, "Wait! What is going on! We have never ran this far before!" I asked the Lord to be with me and to give me the mental strength to make it to the end and he delivered! At about a quarter of a mile into the 4th mile, there was a pretty big hill. Okay, it might not be that big or even really be classified as a hill, but in my mind it was really big. I slowed a little, trying to keep my effort level the same, as I had done throughout the entire run. I kept telling my self, "All I need to do is make it to the top and it will be all down hill from there."

I reached the top before I knew it and the run was done too before I knew it. It was a great run! I felt good throughout and got lost in thought a couple times. I'm even looking forward to my 5 mile run next Saturday!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great to read man. I have been running for 40 days now. This morning I ran two miles with one 60 second walk break at the 1 mile mark. That's good for me. I am planning on my first 5K in Sept/Oct.

I'll be linking here from my blog.

ithink2020 said...

Joe,

Congrates on your progress. You'll be running a 5k in no time! If your already up to two miles, I think you'll be ready for a 5k sooner than that.

I would even recommend run/walking one now, so your get the feel for what it is like.

Just be careful, they are addictive!

Tiffany said...

Congrats, yo!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and keep up the good, no great, effort.